These Pink Jelly Cakes provide a modern twist to an old favourite, lamingtons. With raspberry jam and vanilla cream, these not only look divine but taste equally as delicious.
125g (1/2 block) Fairy margarine, chopped, at room temperature
165g (¾ cup) caster sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs, at room temperature
125ml (½ cup) milk
200g (1 1/3 cups) self-raising flour
95g (1¼ cups) shredded coconut
80g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
160g (½ cup) raspberry jam
85g packet raspberry jelly crystals
250ml (1 cup) boiling water
125ml (1/2 cup) cold water
Vanilla Cream Filling
180g Fairy margarine, chopped, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
330g (2¾ cups) icing sugar mixture
1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven 180°C/ 160°C (fan forced) and grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
2. To make cake, beat Fairy Margarine, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture may look curdled at this stage.
3. Add milk and sifted flour, in two batches, folding until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
4. Cook 25 minutes, or until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove. Stand in pan 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
1. Meanwhile, dissolve jelly crystals in boiling water, in a shallow dish. Stir in cold water. Refrigerate until jelly starts to set around the edge.
Vanilla Cream Filling:
1. Beat Fairy Margarine and vanilla in same, clean bowl of electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gradually add sifted sugar, beating until combined. Beat in milk, until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a 9mm plain nozzle.
1. Cut cake into 24 equal squares (approx. 5cm squares). One at a time, dip cakes into jelly, allowing excess to drip away. Roll in combined coconuts. Transfer to a wire rack. Refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until set.
2. Cut cakes in half. Spread one half with jam (1 tsp each). Pipe filling onto the other half and sandwich together. Repeat with remaining cakes, jam and filling.
TIP Filled cakes will last for up to two days in the fridge in an airtight container.